A great friend of mine from high school offered to be a guest blogger this time! Thanks Amie, you're awesome!
This recipe is from my new cookbook, Rocco's Real Life Recipes - fast flavor for every day. I initially picked it up because of the cute picture of him on the front, I've since come to find out he's 44 and I still don't believe it! When I saw it was only $6.99 I thought what the heck, he's cute, there are some yummy pictures, and what a bargain! I made a variation of his Spaghetti and Shrimp with Spring Vegetables, using Spaghetti squash and loved it!
Carmel mentioned to me this morning that she was looking for a new quiche recipe and I remembered this one! I hope it's as tasty as it looks! Enjoy!
Shrimp and Red Onion Pie
1 unbaked 9-inch piecrust
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 eggs, well beaten
1 cup half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
8 slices bacon, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 pound fresh small shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Prick the surface of the piecrust with a fork and back for 5 mintues. Remove from oven and turn the temperature down to 375F.
3. Mix the eggs with the half-and-half. Season with the salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
4. In a large saute pan cook the bacon over medium heat until almost crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain the bacon on a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Add the onion to bacon fat, season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium heat until tender and slightly caramelized, about 6 to 8 minutes. Turn the heat up to high and add the shrimp to the pan. Cover and steam shrimp about 2 mintues. Toss the bacon back in with the onion and shrimp.
5. Arrange the shrimp mixture evenly in the bottom of the pastry shell. Pour the egg mixture into the shell and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until the center is set.
6. Allow pie to cool slightly before cutting and serving.
Friday Giveaway Link Up 3/24/17
1 day ago